THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Wanting To Help



It is difficult to see someone who obviously has an eating disorder suffering, especially when you have suffered so much yourself. It is even more difficult for someone to say something stupid to them. I was at a function this weekend and overheard someone making a big deal over a piece of cake and ice cream that she was eating. Then he proceeded to tell her that 48 hours after you eat sweets, you will crave them even more. Therefore she picked at her cake, finally pushing it away. It broke my heart. Even though I still have poor body image issues, and romanticize about the days when I was too thin, I'm still in recovery and weight restored. I realize the pain she is in, and so much want to reach out and help, but not sure if I should. I remember how much denial I was in, and how angry I would get at the suggestion that I was anorexic. I had to come to a place on my own where I knew that I needed help. I finally realized that I needed treatment, and it was a step in the right direction. Practicing yoga has also helped me to realize that my body is strong and can do more when I nourish it properly. Yes, I still skip meals and struggle when under stress, but I'm so much better. I feel my job is to reach out and help, but I also don't want to push someone away. I think she is destined for a short life if she continues to starve herself. What do I do or not do? Any suggestions on this?

2 Comments:

Wanda's Wings said...

It is hard to know what is the right thing to do. Just let her know you are there for her and give support as she is willing to take it.

Cheryl said...

One of the things I love about this community is how giving people are. I think it's wonderful that you want to help this girl, but I agree that I too would have been angry if someone had suggested I had an eating disorder while I was still in denial.

I suppose it depends on how well you know this person...

Maybe you could start by mentioning that you are in recovery from an ating disorder so that she knows hat, and can sit with that for a while - maybe she'll come to you of her own accord. And if not, maybe then you can try being more direct about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide - everyone is different, so she might be fine with you being direct from the start. Whatever you decide, at least she'll know someone cares.