THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Learning



Artwork by~Alexandra Gallagher; Digital Collage, 2012, New Media Art "Owl"

Learning

I never learned to type
or read a map
The backward roads of my mind
the compass of my heart lost
I never learned to read the notes
singing by ear
memorizing each song the first time
the music floating through my soul
I never learned to add without my fingers
the nonsensical numbers
the teachers fist pounding on the desk
angry and frustrated
I would sit in the hall trying not to cry
My mother says that I learned to read
by the time I was four
lost in each book
escaping from my stupidity
I could stand on the stage
pouring from my mouth
capturing their eyes
the first time I felt good enough
auditioning with my head held high
I never learned to believe I was pretty
sometimes staring at myself in the mirror
distorting my features
avoiding my gaze
He tells me all of the time
the beauty is within
I catch him looking at me
my body holding shame
The movement of my limbs take over
the rhythm of my breath
is where my peace begins
escaping from thoughts of failure
finally learning that who I am
is enough

Angela Minard 2012©

5 Comments:

Wanda's Wings said...

The last line says it all.

Unknown said...

<3 this....

Nicole said...

Your poems are always so vivid and beautiful. You are such a remarkable writer.

I had similar difficulties in school. My mind could never make sense of numbers (I’m also still unable to understand maps) and I was always afraid of getting in trouble with my teachers because of my inability to grasp the subject matter. I was very worried in school. My mom said that during kindergarten and first grade, I would sit at my desk with my hands and knees shaking because I was so nervous.

I love this, Angie. Your closing lines are so powerful.

I think you are incredible <3

<3<3<3
Nicole

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful and inspiring ♥

Mom said...

I have this quote from Maya Angelou that says; I'm not perfect, but I'm pretty good. I laminated it for my bookmark. It's like a talisman and a reminder. I think you're as good as it gets and that's pretty damned good!