THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Rosary

Rosary
Last evening Dave and I went to the Rosary service and visitation for our friend Kelly, who passed away last week after a long battle with breast cancer. It was difficult to say goodbye. She had such a bright, warm spirit and light about her, and to see her body without the radiation of her soul, was painful. I'm really not a fan of the open casket for that reason, but I also understand how some people may need to see the actual body so that they can process the loss.
It was a Catholic service, with a saying of the Rosary. I am Catholic, but my husband isn't, so it was all new to him.
(The Rosary is divided into five decades. Each decade represents a mystery or event in the life of Jesus. There are four sets of "Mysteries of the Rosary" (Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful, and Glorious). These four "Mysteries of the Rosary" therefore contain, a total of twenty mysteries. The Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful, and Glorious Mysteries. Public recitation of the Rosary (two or more people), requires a leader to announce each of the mysteries before the decade, and start each prayer.) I had not recited the Rosary since I was a child, so I was surprised by how soothing and meditative it was to participate. I had really struggled earlier in the day with even going to the service at all, but then I remembered what my therapist had said about allowing myself to grieve. I suppose that I think of it as self-indulgent, so my first reaction is to stuff it down and hold it in, which I'm beginning to realize is not a healthy thing to do. I felt a lightness and relief after saying goodbye which also comes with knowing that her pain and suffering is over. I signed her on-line guest book with these words, and a poem that I wrote.

~To Kelly~
May you rest in peace and fly among angels.


A Chance To Fly

Pink tipped clouds
shaped like wings
streaking through
the darkening sky.

The soul
breathes in,
then out.

A sigh…

Longing for
the chance
to fly.

Angela Minard 2008

1 Comments:

Waterrose said...

I had forgotten. I grew up catholic also and I was always fascinated with the rosary. Thank you for reminding me.