THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What's In A Name?

angela
Ever since I found out about my friend Peter changing his name when he was a little boy, it has me thinking about the signifigance of a name, and how it shapes who we are. It also reminds me of my own name change around the age of six, when for a short period of time, I insisted that my friends call me Victoria because my mother had mentioned that the name had been considered, before deciding on Angela. Victoria sounded much more regal and befitting of the princess that I wanted to be!

I thought that it might be fun to write a name poem. If you try one of your own, I hope that you will share. Here is mine~

A My Name Is...

I'm rarely an Angela
Ang, Mom, Honey
Miss Angie
to name a few
My Noni called me
Angel
and of course
she knew!
but what
is my name
really?
deep inside
my soul
Hmmm...
Let me think
awhile
and then
get back to you

"A name should be taken as an act of liberation, of celebration, of intention. A name should be a magical invocation to the muse. A name should be a self-blessing."

Erica Jong

1 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew when I saw you
Angela would be your name
After a sweet and gentle soul
That had the very same