Telling Secrets
My husband wonders why I do this. He doesn't understand why I would want to share so much personal information, especially with strangers. In the beginning, the writing was a way to sort through all of the thoughts and feelings that began to surface after I told my husband and therapist that I had been raped as a child. I was so protective of all of my secrets, and I think it was a way of keeping something for myself when everything else had been taken. Eating disorders thrive in silence, and hiding behind the secrets made me feel safe. Through writing, I began to slowly let go of the shame that I had carried around for so long, and it felt good. What felt even better though was the response I received from people that I didn't even know. I would hear how my story or a poem that I had written touched someone else, or had helped them to feel less alone, and for once in my life, I felt like maybe I could make a difference. I was finally being heard, and now I feel that I can no longer be silent. If I can help other people along with myself throughout this journey, then sharing my struggles along with my triumphs is worth it.
Secrets
I'm afraid
all of the time
I wonder
what you hide
No one is
who they say
they are
Who are you?
Who am I?
Who can I trust
with all that I am?
For so long
you have seen
what I want
you to see
or so I thought
I don't want
to be alone
anymore
To be me...
Alive...
So I give
all of my secrets
away
To hold
like a wish
in your hands
A deep breath...
and then gone...
Angela Minard 2008©
all of the time
I wonder
what you hide
No one is
who they say
they are
Who are you?
Who am I?
Who can I trust
with all that I am?
For so long
you have seen
what I want
you to see
or so I thought
I don't want
to be alone
anymore
To be me...
Alive...
So I give
all of my secrets
away
To hold
like a wish
in your hands
A deep breath...
and then gone...
Angela Minard 2008©

Comments
"Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented"
It has always summed up what I do and why I do it. Nobody talks and nothing will change.
take care
"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Keep up the good work and do what makes you feel good and CHANGE will take place.
Many understand and will respect you.
Love
Donn
I began to heal the day I decided to speak and my healing continued to bring me closer to Myself with each secret I revealed.
"I have learned that secrecy breeds shame, while honesty gives birth to pride." ~Me, 1994