THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Ride


The Ride

We ride in comfortable silence
until I realize that maybe I should say something
Perhaps I should ask you how school is,
or if you have a girlfriend
I remember the incessant chatter,
the questions and comments you would make
on our trips here and there
Once you said,
"Mom, did you know that Einstein didn't learn to tie his shoes until he was seven? "I'm smarter than Einstein!"
I don't know when the quiet rides began.
Mother and son side by side
Sometimes your friends are in the car, and I'm the invisible observer
I take it all in, the pulling away, no longer mine
You never were...

Angela Minard 2012©

2 Comments:

Ann said...

oh boy can I ever relate to this one. The silent rides have passed though and they have both moved on to the next chapter. I like this one though with the phones calls to ask for my recipe for this or how do I do that :)

Wanda's Wings said...

The good times.