THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, June 4, 2012

Word Of The Day #4~ Crazy



There are generally two definitions of the word "crazy." We use the term "Crazy," as in "She is boy crazy," or it can mean "insanity." I would prefer not to use the term crazy when referring to someone who is mentally ill. The word "insane" isn't even a term that is used much anymore. People may call you crazy if you starve yourself, cut yourself, purge, or attempt to commit suicide, but that is such a derogatory word that is no longer politically correct. I remember sitting in my therapists office one day, tears streaming down my face, and asking her, "Am I crazy?" I had a definite fear that I was going insane, which in my mind meant that I was never going to be well. I envisioned being locked away, bars on the windows, drugged into a stupor, and tied into a straight jacket. At this point, I had attempted suicide twice, not to mention the anorexia and erratic behavior. I needed help. I needed to stay on my medication, and nourish my body. Yes, I have a mental illness, but it can be managed just like most other illnesses. We need to start thinking of mental illness as a disease and not a life sentence. I'm in recovery. I can and will fully recover. If you are struggling with an eating disorder, depression, cutting, or suicidal thoughts, get help. Reach out. There is hope, and you are not alone.  

2 Comments:

Jenn said...

i agree. i wish people would view ed's as an illness and not someone who is crazy.... i think if we could take that association away from it, then more people would be able to reach out for help and be more honest without the fear of people thinking they are crazy.

Arielle Bair, MSW, LSW said...

I agree, Angela. And yes, you can fully recover. I'm rooting for you always! :)