THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, April 14, 2008

Unexpected Visitors

Photobucket

I thought that I would start out the week by sharing a poem that I love.


~The Guesthouse~ by Rumi

This being human is a guesthouse
Every morning a new arrival
A joy, a depression, a meanness
Some momentary awareness
Comes as an unexpected visitor

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows
Who violently sweep your house
Empty of its furniture
Still treat each guest honorably
He may be cleaning you out
For some new delight!

The dark thought, the shame, the malice
Meet them at the door laughing
And invite them in
Be grateful for whoever comes
Because each has been sent
As a guide from the beyond

Translated by Coleman Barks

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this poem, too. If we could only remember and hold it to us each day, we would be content.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Rachel said...

Hi-


What a lovely poem. Sorry to leave a comment on your blog, but I could find no other way to contact you.

I'm conducting a survey of bloggers who write about eating disorders or eating disorder recovery. The results of the survey will be used for research and publication purposes.

More information and a survey link can be found here.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I've never read this poem before; how lovely. Thanks for sharing it.