THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, May 25, 2009

The Scale

Photobucket

I wrote this poem after a really difficult day. I think that sometimes the eating disorder talks me into believeing that the smaller I become, the less pain and hurt I will feel. I have to remember that although engaging in ED behaviors does numb my emotions, it also numbs the good feelings, and I do not want to go back to that.

The Scale

Weighing the choices
in each hand
always weighing...
always measuring...

I taste the hunger
rancid on my tongue.
A bitter longing to return
to the gnawing emptiness
that throbs behind my eyes.
Believing that the pain
will disappear
if I disappear

Angela Minard 2009©

4 Comments:

Mike Golch said...

interesting poem.

Joanne Olivieri said...

This is a very powerful message. The poem is well crafted and displays pain in its' purest form. Very well done.

j said...

Love it- I think it captures the inner thoughts of most ED sufferers perfectly.

clean and crazy said...

it is amazing how similar it sounds to addiction. like being addicted to dope, it numbs the pain away and when you numb the bad you also numb the good. thanks for sharing