THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Handle With Care


I just read this over at Laura's Soap Box and wanted to share it with you all.

People facing an eating disorder - the patient, the family, and the clinical team - have to hold a few necessary but insufficient facts in their head for a long time. Each of them are counterintuitive, complex, and difficult to achieve. Grasping one, no matter how enthusiastically, will not help unless you embrace the others, too:

1.Eating disorders are a real brain problem, not an accumulation of wrong thoughts.
2.The first order of business is normalizing nutrition, activity, and eating behaviors.
3.The mental symptoms will get worse before they get better.
4.The mental symptoms will outlast the visible and medically measurable symptoms.
5. Full recovery is the goal.
6.Relapse prevention is necessary.

I often forget #1. Eating disorders are a mental disorder, and yet I beat myself up and blame myself. I am frustrated because of the mental symptoms. I wouldn't wish for anyone to be trapped inside of my mind. This doesn't give me the excuse to throw my hands up in the air and surrender to the disorder, but it is a reminder to go easier on myself. I'm not fragile, and I won't break, but still I can handle with care.

7 Comments:

T.J. said...

I am so in this. I just thought it was from others not realizing it is ME. I am so stuck right now but I will be on the right path soon. We do need to handle with care.

Wanda's Wings said...

Good information for all.

Just me said...

Write these down where you can see them? :)

Sairs said...

I just wanted to say that it is possible to recover, which I have done after 6 years with the disorder. Sure I am bigger but I like my body now and I never thought I'd say that about myself! So yes, it is possible but not easy, might I add :)
*hugs*
Sarah

Eve said...

I agree, you should write it down and post it to your mirror. This is really good!

Heather Jerdee said...

This is good Angela and yes handling yourself with care and compassion. We will remind each other. Lots of love to you Angela.

Patricia Singleton said...

I have always thought that once the last of my incest issues were healed that my overeating would probably disappear on its own. Never knew that it could be a brain disorder. I did just recently see an article posted that said that child sexual abuse changes the brain and the way that it works. Thanks for following me on Twitter so that I could find your blog.