Sometimes I Win

Last night, I was afraid...afraid to feel, to be alone, with only the negative voice in my head to contend with. I won though...that voice did not win. After I dropped the boys off at football practice, I used every tool that I could think of, not to do something damaging and self destructive. I came home, I wrote out my feelings, and as I was writing, my mom called on the phone. It was wonderful to hear her voice, and know that she arrived home safely. I also decided to call my best friend who I hadn't talked to in a while, and we made plans to get together this weekend. I was still feeling a bit anxious, so I put in my headphones, listened to some music, and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. Even though I had already walked earlier, I felt it was the least destructive out of some of the other activities that I could have picked. I felt so much better after that, picked up the boys, and by that time, Dave was home, and I had made it through my anxiety. Yesterday, I was going to paint, but I couldn't find the paint that I wanted to use. My mom told me where it was, so today, that is what I'm going to do. That is one thing about my mom coming to visit. She organizes my house so well, that I have to call her to tell me where she put everything! I love you, mom<3>
Comments
Um, ouch! I know lots of people who have fully recovered- and I'm nearly there myself. I know that I will always have to *manage my recovery* but that is a far far cry from *managing my illness*.
And anorexia is a neurobiological illness, based in a combination of one's genes and life experiences. I have NEVER met someone doing it or continuing their illness, just for "attention." You would do well to read the papers by Walt Kaye, Cynthia Bulik, Daniel LeGrange, and James Lock. Just do a PubMed search- it might help some of the advice you hand out.