Revisited
Revisited
When I asked if she had read it
she said it was on the floor of her closet...
the poem I had given her
discarded
I had tucked the memory away until later
when I could contemplate the hurt
because although I knew that she cared
there was an anger in me
anger that I had chosen not to acknowledge
I wonder at the time if my face gave me away
but I always smile
or at least that is what I must have done
If she noticed anything in my eyes, it didn't show
It felt like I had been slapped
I remember telling myself that it didn't matter
that she would eventually read it
It was most likely crumpled up
thrown in the trash by now
I still see her
Why do I go back and revisit the past?
Torturing myself
as if everyone is out to get me
to see if I will crumble
I weigh my words carefully
treading on thin ice
The knives that are thrown at me
penetrate my shield
but I will not let you see
Angela Minard 2012©

Comments
I’ve been following and enjoying your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.